Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our Garden

We have lots of shade in our yard, so all of our plants have to be shade-friendly. It has taken a long time to find shade-loving flowers that we both like. We have lots of hosta plants, which are nice, but their flowers are teeny-tiny, and they grow way too big in my opinion. So here is a tour through our garden of my favorite colorful plants.

Oh, how I wish you could smell these lilacs! Their perfume permeates our entire yard!
Here are our lilies-of-the-valley. Aren't they pretty?
This is our pink bleeding hearts that we have growing in various places in our yard. We've got white bleeding hearts, too. There's a rhododendron bush in the background, and some daylilies as well.This may look like one bush, but it is really three different azalea bushes. I think this is probably one of my favorite spots in our garden by the street. And there are ferns, ribbon grass, and Scottish bluebells in front of it.
When we first moved into our house(which has been ten years ago, by the way!), we bought some lilac bushes and planted them in the garden by our house. They never bloomed until this year, when we finally got two blooms, which you can see in this picture. Someone told me that it's because they were finally pollinated by a male lilac plant. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there really such thing as female and male lilac bushes?
Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed your tour through our garden. Tony works very hard at keeping it beautiful, and he deserves some accolades!

1 comment:

The Fieldings said...

I didn't know lilacs had genders. I just asked John and he didn't know either. We have several lilacs on our street and one way back from the street that is still young. The ones on the street bloom regularly but the one in the back has yet to bloom. I thought it was because it was just young. How do you pollinate if there are no blooms?

Your garden is beautiful, by the way. Nice work, Tony! John just got me a hosta. I didn't know they got big. Are they hard to dig up?